Tuesday 30 April 2013

Artefact...

Since finishing my first draft for my critical review I have been thinking about and planning and changing my mind about my artefact.

It has been stressful and one of the many times on this course where I have felt out of my depth and like I dont really know what I am meant to be doing.

Through all of this I came up with and started drafting a few options,

1. I started planning a workshop that would bring learning disabled and mainstream dancers together. This was something that came out of conversations on the blog about how to approach inclusivity, whilst maintaining high teaching standards for all students, the thoughts being that with some pre-teaching for each group of dancers to almost set the foundations and then allow them to come together in a more productive and even environment.
Although I thought this was a good idea, I found myself feeling that this was an idea that only looked at one aspect of my finding, it didn't go into detail about the benefits I had seem for learning disabled dancers and how to go about achieving them, and this was the main goal of my inquiry. I really want to take the opportunity to share this. A workshop plan I think may have limited appeal to others and doesnt express enough of my findings.

2. My second idea was a set of 6 lesson plans. This idea came out of the fact that I have been offered the opportunity to create a new dance class specifically for adults with learning disabilities and so this would benefit me professionally and in terms of the course. However again I feel this would have limited appeal in terms of communicating with my professional audience... although lesson plans might be something that another teacher might read, I don't think it would have a huge amount of influence on other teachers thinking, and I don't believe that we would copy a lesson plan point for point and so is it going to appeal to my professional audience?

3. My final idea was some literature in the form of a leaflet/ booklet that tell the reader the things I have discovered from my inquiry into the benefits of dance for adults with learning disabilities and how to go about achieving this. The audience would be other teachers, and the aim would be to get teachers thinking about how to work with this client group in the hope of increasing other dance teacher confidence in perhaps trying to provide classes for learning disabled adults.
My inquiry showed that there are benefits for adults with learning disability, but also highlighted limited opportunities and teacher apprehension, perhaps by sharing my findings in an accessible and condensed format might help people to feel a little more encouraged??
It would cover areas such as...
- Why teachers should consider expanding their practice into this area.
- The class atmosphere they need to provide
- An example of a successful class structure
- How to approach praise and disciplin
- The benefits and how to set goals
- Some example exercises/ lesson plan (maybe even incorporate the workshop idea)

At the moment Option 3 is the one I am working on, it has evolved slightly into a small website (I was struggling to find a way to print the booklet in a professional looking way)

What do people think??
Would having more advice, information and encouragement make you consider teaching a new client group such as learning disability??
Is this a good way to present my finding to my professional audience of other teachers??
Booklet or website??

My thinking on these questions change, I think its a bit of a crisis of confidence.... would be interesting to see what you guys on the bapp blog think?

Hows everyone else getting on with drafting and artefacts??

4 comments:

  1. HI Danni

    I think this is a really interesting idea, I think more information on the subject would encourage teachers and provide them with confidence to pursue your ideas.

    It's tough decision. I always think websites are more accessible, they also give you the ability to update information as necessary. A booklet would require an entire reprint. However, this is on the assumption that most people now have internet access.

    Booklets would be useful for teachers, particularly in and around London. I know a lot of freelance teachers who commute via the tube and so a booklet would provide some good reading! Both have positives, I guess you would need to decide exactly who your target audience is and how you expect them to access the information you are providing.

    Hope this helps!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly has made the points that I would have suggested. Maybe brain storm your 3rd option and see where the ideas lead to for your target audience.

    I think it is a brilliant idea that isn't addressed enough.

    If you opt for the website maybe make it easily printable or offer the option to print out the information. I always find it easier reading from paper rather than a computer screen.

    Good Luck

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danni,

    I agree with both Kelly and Kimberly. It sounds as though you have thought this through well.

    It's sounds as though there is some synergy between options two and three, although I appreciate that may seem a daunting amount of work to do in the last couple of weeks (that is how I am feeling at the moment!) I am considering a business website, but that's as far as I've got so far...

    I've just had a thought - Hypothetically, is there a company or charity that you could be linked to, to offer information to their database of website visitors and offer pages on their website / a link to your website / PDF versions of information leaflets?

    I recently joined Dance UK - Once you become a member, you have access to printable information leaflets. Also, The Foundation of Community Dance have booklets and leaflets about certain types of community classes.

    My thought process of this is for you to research what's already out there and gauge what works and what doesn't - perhaps you could ask them what works and what doesn't? Is the website a better source of information than a printable leaflet or booklet?

    Are you wanting to recruit teachers or offer training to teachers? Perhaps option one could be a tailored workshop for teachers who wish to train and gain an understanding of how to teach disabled dancers?

    It sounds as though you are taking time to reflect and figure out the best way forward which is a good sign. I hope these brainstorming ideas help!

    Best Wishes,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much for your feedback. What I am realising most from what all of you have said is that I need to consider more fully my audience and how they will access the information, I had got as far as knowing it was aimed at teachers.
    I agree Kelly that websites are more accessible, assuming that most people do have internet access these days. Information would be able to be added to, I feel that as my experience grows I may have more to offer on the subject and this gives me a changing format. My location also makes this point really valid as I live in the south west, in Devon, opportunities to spread a physical information such as booklets will be more limited.(we barely have public transport let alone the tube!)
    However I also very much appreciate your point Kimberly that you find it easier to read from paper, I am exactly the same, and had to print of all handbooks and readers from this course as I can concentrate on computer screen that long! (I agree that if I go with a site then that needs to be an option)
    Jo, you always give me so much to think about! I am not really promoting anything, recruitment or training, at the moment, I guess my thoughts were to raise awareness of what I feel is an important issue, however I think that this might change with my practice as this is an area I am interested in doing more work in, and a website would allow me to amend this and potentially start offering other services?
    But I think that your idea about affiliation is a brilliant one, just like web 2.0 this could be a link on other relevant sites or on social media (facebook, blogs, twitter, linked) or as you suggest I could offer a PDF version or maybe both? I wonder if I might be able to include a PDF version on the site itself as well, allowing people to print the information if they prefer, this could lead to further distribution if perhaps people want to post info on notice boards or share with colleagues (maybe I'm getting carried away!)

    Thank you all so much for your help, I will do more brainstorming and blog about my decisions!

    ReplyDelete